Newborn babies should have their first pediatrician visit when they are about three to five days old. It is very soon because it is so important for the doctor to check for any issues. If the baby has a health condition, the pediatrician may recommend daily visits in the beginning.
For the first visit to the pediatrician, be sure to bring your health insurance card, the baby’s hospital records, diapers, wipes, a blanket, and a baby bottle (if bottle-fed). If you have special questions for the doctor, write them down and have them ready so you do not forget. It is best to have them written on paper rather than in your phone, because the medical practice’s policy may be not to allow phone use while in the doctor’s office.
Let’s talk about some of the key questions a new mother and/or father should ask the pediatrician at the baby’s first checkup, and where you can go in the Fairless Hills area for top-notch pediatric care.
Consider asking your baby’s physician the following questions:
- How much crying is normal?
- How much sleep should my baby get every day?
- How do I keep him/her safe during sleep?
- How often should I feed the baby? How long should it take? How will I know if the baby is getting enough?
- If bottle-fed: What formula is best for my baby?
- If breastfed: Do I need a lactation consultant?
- What is the best way to help my baby burp?
- Why does my baby spit up a lot?
- How should I give my baby a bath, and how often should I bathe him/her?
- How will I know it’s time to change the diaper?
- How many diaper changes in a day is normal?
- What should I do if my baby has a fever?
- How do I treat diaper rash?
- When will my baby begin to sleep through the night?
- What vaccinations do I need to schedule? Could there be side effects?
- (If a boy:) When should I schedule a circumcision?
It is easy to get overwhelmed with adjusting to life with a new baby. For this reason, it is recommended to find a trusted pediatrician before the baby is born, not after – so you will have one less thing to have to think about.
Patient Care Now Urgent Care also offers a high-quality Pediatric Urgent Care and related services for your baby every day of the year, including holidays. Our physicians are trained in emergency medicine, and we provide immediate medical attention to patients of all ages. We also administer immunizations to children and adults.
We are an urgent care clinic, and you’ll be in and out quickly. Simply walk in during our extended office hours – there is no need to make an appointment. If you have any questions, please call our urgent care clinic at (267) 202-6433, or let us know you’re on your way by checking in online. We look forward to being your family’s go-to healthcare partner!