Your family doctor or favorite nurse practitioner has told you that you have a heightened risk of contracting COVID-19 (Coronavirus Disease 2019). You know very well that COVID-19 is a serious infectious disease. Now, what should you do?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has helpful recommendations for decreasing the likelihood of contracting COVID-19, even if you are at high risk. Let’s talk about how to protect yourself and your loved ones from the novel coronavirus, and where you can go in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, for preventive or urgent care for the whole family.
How to Protect Yourself from Contracting COVID-19
Most adults and children with underlying medical conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, or hypertension (high blood pressure) are at an increased risk of being infected with the coronavirus. The CDC also states that those who have underlying health conditions may not always respond positively to the approved vaccines.
Helpful advice and guidelines to stay strong and protect yourself include the following:
- Continue taking all of your prescription medications, and don’t change your treatment plan without talking with your medical provider.
- Follow your recommended diet, blood sugar testing, dialysis schedule, and nutrition and exercise to keep your medical condition under control.
- Be sure to have at least a 30-day supply of your prescription medications in your home at all times. Speak with your pharmacist, insurance company, or medical provider about increasing your supply to reduce your necessary visits to the pharmacy.
- Keep your pantry full of canned or stable items that will accommodate your diet.
- Know what makes your condition worse. Avoid situations that would trigger your illness, because an exacerbation can make your body more vulnerable to the coronavirus and unable to fight against it.
- Learn about coping mechanisms and stress relievers. Stress can be a trigger for many diseases, and keeping your stress level stable could prevent a problem.
- Do not delay in getting emergency care for your medical condition if necessary – never hesitate to call 911. Emergency rooms have safety protocols in place to protect you from getting COVID-19.
- Keep all scheduled preventive care appointments, and do not postpone them to a later date for fear of the virus. Check with your medical provider and ask about COVID-19 precautions the office is taking, and ask about telemedicine or remote healthcare options.
- Limit your physical interaction with other people. Remember, even those people who are vaccinated can spread the virus.
There isn’t a foolproof way to prevent contracting COVID-19, but following these steps can go a long way toward keeping you safe.
Family Urgent Care in Bucks County, PA
Patient Care Now Urgent Care in Fairless Hills provides urgent care for all ages. Our urgent care center is open every day, 24 hours a day, including holidays. Our facility is owned and operated by board-certified emergency medical providers with more than 20 years of experience.
You can expect prompt, compassionate care at Patient Care Now Urgent Care. If you have any questions, call us today at (267) 202-6433. You can walk right in without an appointment; you can also check in via our online check-in form now. We look forward to being your family’s healthcare provider!